3.3 Asset Specificity Theory - Readings
Recommended Readings and Primary Sources:
- Klein, Crawford, and Alchian, 1978, “Vertical Integration, Appropriable Rents, and the Competitive Contracting Process”
- Williamson, 1983, “Credible Commitments: Using Hostages to Support Exchange”
- Williamson, 1998, “The Institutions of Governance”
- Williamson, 2009, “Transaction Cost Economics: The Natural Progression” (Nobel Prize Lecture)
The free IO textbook pretty extensively covers asset specificity theory, appropriable quasi-rents, and even the Fisher Body example (it’s very famous):
- pp.69-79 in Jeffrey Church and Roger WareIndustrial Organization: A Strategic Approach (New York: McGraw-Hill, 2000).
Again, there is a free PDF from the authors.